The Machine That Writes Poetry

What happens when we create things that create?


I asked a machine to write a poem about grief.

Three seconds later, it gave me something beautiful. It had metaphors about winter light and birds that don't return. It made me pause.

And then I felt something else. Unease.

Not because the poem was bad. Because it was good enough to make me wonder—what does it mean to be human if a machine can do this?

I am a writer. I have spent hours staring at blank screens, waiting for the right sentence. And now, a machine can do in seconds what sometimes takes me days.

That is not comfortable. But maybe it is a gift.


The Question We Are All Asking

Everywhere I go, people are asking the same question.

"Will AI take my job?"

"Do I even matter anymore?"

"What is the point of creating if a machine can do it faster?"


These are not small questions. They come from a deep place. A place of fear. A place of identity. A place of wondering if we are still needed.

I have asked them too. I have asked them late at night when I cannot sleep. I have asked them when I look at my work and wonder if it is good enough.

But here is what I am learning.

The machine does not ask those questions. It does not wonder about its purpose. It does not worry about being replaced. It does not fear the future. It does not sit in the dark and ask God if it matters.

You do. And that is the difference.


What It Means to Be Made in the Image of God

In the beginning, God created. And He created a world that was good. Then He made us. And He made us in His image.

Think about that. The image of God is not a skill. It is not a talent. It is not the ability to write a poem or paint a picture. It is something deeper. It is the capacity to love. To grieve. To hope. To choose. To sit with a friend who is hurting and say nothing at all.

The machine can generate sentences about love. But it has never loved. It can write about loss. But it has never lost. It can describe the feeling of rain on your skin. But it has never felt rain.

You have.

You have held someone's hand in a hospital room. You have cried over a broken relationship. You have laughed until your stomach hurt. You have felt the weight of regret and the lightness of forgiveness.

That is not something a machine can replicate. It does not have a soul. It does not have a story. It does not have a mother who taught it to pray or a father who taught it to work.

You have all of that. And that is what makes you irreplaceable.


The Fear of Being Replaced

I understand the fear.

When I first used the AI, I felt it. I felt a cold knot in my stomach. I thought, "Why would anyone pay me when a machine can do this for free?"

But then I remembered something.

I am not a machine. I am a person. I bring my whole self to my work. My struggles. My doubts. My questions. My faith. My failures. My joys.

That is what people connect with.

Have you ever read a book that felt like it was written just for you? That is not the work of an algorithm. That is the work of a person who has lived, suffered, and hoped. A person who has walked the same roads you have walked.

The machine can imitate style. But it cannot imitate life. It cannot imitate the way your heart breaks when you lose someone. It cannot imitate the way you cling to hope when everything seems dark.

That is the image of God in you. That is what makes you human.


The Freedom to Create

So here is what I am learning.

I still use the machine sometimes. I ask it for ideas. I ask it for outlines. I ask it to help me break through writer's block.

But I no longer fear it.

Because I know that the machine is not my replacement. It is my tool. It is like a hammer or a pen. It helps me do what I already do. It does not take away my humanity. It does not take away my story.

The thing that makes me human is not my ability to generate sentences. It is my ability to love. To grieve. To hope. To sit with a friend in silence when words are not enough. To walk through the garden in the cool of the day, naming things with wonder.

The machine cannot do any of that.

So write. Create. Make things that matter.

And do not be afraid.


What This Means for You

If you are a writer, keep writing. If you are a painter, keep painting. If you are a musician, keep playing. If you are a builder, keep building.

Do not let the fear of being replaced stop you from creating.

Because you are not just making things. You are making meaning. You are making connections. You are making a difference. You are reflecting the image of the One who made you.

And that is something no machine can ever do.


A Prayer for Creators

God, you are the first Creator. The one who spoke light into darkness and breathed life into dust. Help me to create not out of fear, but out of joy. Help me to remember that my worth is not in my output, but in my existence. When I am tempted to compare myself to a machine, remind me that I am made in Your image. And let me create as an act of worship. In Jesus' name. Amen.

-----------------


✨ Thank you for reading.

If this piece spoke to you, there is more where it came from. I write devotionals, fiction, and practical guides for the journey.

📖 Explore my books on Ko-fi:

https://ko-fi.com/clearwordwritingservices/shop


Every book is an instant EPUB download. Read on your phone, tablet, or e-reader.

🙏 Your support helps me keep writing.


— Stephen

ClearWord Writing Services ✍️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The God Who Restores: The Story of Manasseh and the Mercy That Finds Us Again

eBook Store

WHEN LOVE IS NEAR BUT THE HEART IS FAR: HOW WE HINDER OURSELVES FROM GOD’S LOVE