Is God Scrolling Back?
What Gen Z’s TikTok faith, locker-room prayers, and late-night doubts tell us about a revival
I didn’t expect to cry over a 30-second video.
It was 11:42pm. I was tired, phone in hand, thumb on autopilot. And then a 19-year-old kid in a hoodie, sitting on his dorm floor, looked straight into the camera. No filters. No worship band. Just him, a Bible, and tears.
“Hey,” he said. “If nobody told you today, God sees you.”
I closed the app. I reopened it. And I stayed.
Something is happening. And it’s not happening in the places we expected.
The Feed Became an Altar
For a decade we heard it: “Church is dying. Gen Z doesn’t care.”
The stats said “nones.” The pews said empty.
But the algorithm told a different story.
In 2026, faith isn’t waiting for Sunday. It’s showing up at 2am on your For You page. A girl in Lagos doing a 60-second prayer over coffee. A college athlete in Texas pointing to the sky after a game, then posting the verse that got him through it. A Catholic nun doing dances with scripture captions.
It’s messy. It’s unpolished. It’s real.
Journalists are calling it a “Gen Z revival.” I’m not sure that’s the right word yet. Revival feels organized. This feels… urgent. Like people are hungry and they found bread in the last place we looked.
Jesus fed 5,000 with what a boy had in his hands. What if He’s doing the same with what Gen Z has in theirs? Phones.
The question isn’t “are they in church?” The question is: “Are they encountering God?”
And from what I’m seeing, yes. In comments. In DMs. In “I needed this today” replies.
But here’s the tension. A feed can’t hold you when life falls apart. Can it?
When Faith Leaves the Locker Room
Remember when talking about God was… private?
Not anymore.
2026 has a new headline: athletes are talking. Openly. After wins, after losses, after injuries. Godball, a new book, traces how public declarations of faith by male athletes are tracking with a rise in young men showing up to church again.
Why does that matter?
Because boys watch boys. And when a quarterback says, “I was anxious, and I prayed,” it gives permission. Permission to not be numb. Permission to believe there’s more than stats and contracts.
It reminds me of David. A shepherd. A king. A man who wrote psalms in fields and in palaces. He didn’t wait for perfect conditions to worship. He sang where he was.
That’s what’s happening now. Faith is leaving the building. It’s in locker rooms. In cars. On TikTok Lives at midnight.
But let’s be honest too. A viral testimony isn’t discipleship. A trending sound isn’t a spiritual foundation.
If we only meet God in 15-second bursts, what happens when the wifi cuts out? When the pain lasts longer than a reel?
God isn’t trending. He’s abiding. John 15:5.
So the work for us — for all of us — is to take what’s starting online and walk it into real life. Into community. Into prayer that doesn’t need a caption.
So What Do We Do With This Moment?
I don’t know if this is a revival. I do know it’s an invitation.
An invitation to stop dismissing how people find God.
An invitation to stop assuming young people don’t care.
An invitation to meet them where they are — and then gently lead them deeper.
If you’re Gen Z reading this: God sees those late-night scrolls. He sees the questions you don’t post. He’s not afraid of your doubts or your drafts folder. Bring them to Him. Psalm 62:8 says, “Pour out your heart before Him.” Even if your heart comes out in fragments.
If you’re older reading this: Don’t scoff at TikTok faith. Don’t roll your eyes at athlete testimonies. Ask instead, “God, what are You doing here?” The Spirit has always shown up in unexpected places. A manger. A fishing boat. A prison cell. A phone screen.
Three things I’m learning from this moment:
1. Be present. Comment encouragement. Send the verse. Answer the DM. You might be the only Bible someone reads today.
2. Be rooted. Scrolling won’t sustain you. Open the Word. Sit in silence. Let God speak longer than 30 seconds.
3. Be honest. Faith isn’t aesthetic. The kid in the hoodie was crying. The athlete lost the game. Real faith bleeds. Real faith hopes anyway. Romans 12:12 — “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
I still think about that video at 11:42pm.
The kid ended it with this: “I don’t have answers. But I have Jesus. And He’s enough.”
Maybe that’s the whole sermon.
We wanted a movement. God might be giving us moments. Small, flickering, phone-lit moments where someone remembers they are loved.
Is it a revival? I don’t know.
But I know this: God is not afraid of new rooms. He walked into upper rooms. He walked into prisons. He’ll walk into your feed too.
The question is, will we recognize Him when He does?
And will we answer back?
________
📖 Explore my books here: https://ko-fi.com/clearwordwritingservices/shop

Comments
Post a Comment